Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Kleven Brothers - Real Pioneers in Viet Nam

6 March 2010:

I just received news this morning that Mike Kleven in Saigon is near death. Most of you probably don't know Mike but he's part of the unfolding history of the development of Viet Nam, post-1975. I remember in the summer of 1989 returning from Viet Nam on a Thai Airways flight. Across the aisle from me was a guy wearing a black ball cap with a white "X" on the front. I guessed correctly that he was a Viet Nam veteran and I struck up a conversation with him. We ended up conversing all the way back to the United States for the next 14 hours. The vet was Greg Kleven and we would be seeing a lot of each other for the next ten years. That day in 1989 he was determined to go back to the Bay Area, pack up his stuff and go back to Saigon as soon he could and start working. He followed through and did it. Shortly after that his brother Mike, also a Viet Nam vet, joined him in Saigon and soon the brother team was busy establishing an English language school in Saigon. In my frequent trips during this period I always tried to link up with the brothers to see how they were progressing and trying to live on an economy which at that early period, was just emerging from absolute poverty. My trips to Viet Nam increased and I sent a lot of people to Mike and Greg's doorstep. They remained my primary contacts and we shared a lot of in-country information not available (then) in Viet Nam. You can only imagine the hardships. Even fax machines, which by today's standards is antique technology, didn't exist. There was one telephone for every 800 people in a municipal district. By 1989, it had gotten better - now there was one telephone for about every 500 people.

Greg and Mike soon set up shop in District 3 in Saigon and they got down to business with work schedules that would kill the average individual. I visited them a few times in their new digs (American convicts live in luxury by comparison!) and they harped about being Americans living in a foreign, and sometimes hostile environment. More than a few times they were visited by corrupt cops and party lackies who were looking for hand-outs. Any American was assumed to be rich. If they only knew the truth of the Klevens. A local cop came by one night and tried to shake them down for ten US dollars for not flying the national flag on a holiday. But they loved it, and they loved what they were doing.

It would be a few years before the onslaught of other Americans, NGO teams of do-gooders, and the parade of newly arrived Americans who showed up after Clinton's visit and the normalization of relations between the U.S. and Viet Nam. Make no mistake about it - the Klevens preceeded them all and were real pioneers, years before it became the fashionable thing to say you 'had been to Viet Nam!' And we can't forget the other element in this story: they were Viet Nam veterans who firmly believed in going back to assist the people of Viet Nam after such a tragic post-1975 relationship with that burgeoning country. That was always their bottom-line. They did it on basically nothing with no back-up - just their hard work.

8 comments:

  1. Ed,

    I am Paul Kleven, one of Mike's younger brothers. I had the opportunity to vivit with Mike, Greg, and one other brother also in country, Kurt. Mike's health is failing, but his spirit is still strong. While I was there several friends of Mike's came to visit one evening. Two of these men, teachers also, are Vietnamese nationals whom Mike had hired in 1984. The respect, admiration, and love shown to Mike by these men was amazing. Their loyalty to Mike is unwavering, and like so many others, will be saddened by my brothers passing. All my brothers have provided a great service to the Vietnamese people who have had the opportunity to have been associated with them. Their students as well as their peers know the effort they have all put forth in their tenure in country. As brothers I love them; as teachers I salute them; as humanitarians I am in awe of them.

    Paul Kleven

    ReplyDelete
  2. My typewriter was not working well, it wrote 1984 instead of 1994, and it misspelled visit, apologies.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed,
    Mike died on Tuesday, March 8. My brothers are planning a memorial to be held in Saigon sometime later this month. I want to thank you for your words regarding my brothers and their work in Viet Nam. The three of them have had an impact on so many peoples lives, and those people are better for it. We have truly lost one of the good guys.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a friend of Mike's who first went to Vietnam in 1991. I am terribly saddened by this news. I am hearing it from Thailand now as I moved from Vietnam in 2007 and haven't seen Mike since, but I used to see him almost every Sunday at least and sometimes more often. My heart is empty at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary,

    Mike did not suffer near the end. Greg and Kurt and many friends were with him and he was at peace. He was a very good man and is missed by many. You can visit the following site to see some of the people who have memories of Mike.

    http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=5570713180441

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ed,

    Thank you for your great article. I had the privilege of being a student and personal friend of Mike in the early 90's. Mike and his brother Greg have made a huge difference in the lives of many young Vietnamese. Mike's passion to teach and capacity to love was simply endless. He lived humbly, he worked hard, and he made friends wherever he went. My family and I will always cherish our memories of Mike.

    Sincerely

    Uyen (Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed,

    Greg Kleven is in poor health at this time. In the past three years he has suffered three heart attacks and is battling COPD as well as other debilitating ailments. Much like our brother Mike, Greg had a great influence in the early days (1980's and 1990's) in Vietnam as a teacher. But more than that, as you stated in this blog, Greg was truly a pioneer. He not only taught but he had a major part in helping other vets return to Vietnam (for visits or work) during the time when the US government was making it very difficult for those vets to go to Vietnam. Greg also published a series of papers (Vietnam Echos) with a lifelong friend John Brennan. These publications, from 1989 to 1995, dealt with many of the frustrations of Vietnam vets and are well worth the time to read. Greg was admired and love by those whom he taught and helped. As I stated in a previous post "As brothers I love them; as teachers I salute them; as humanitarians I am in awe of them. When Greg passes we will have lost another one of the good guys.

    Paul Kleven

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greg is alive and well as of March 29, 2022. The guy truly has nine lives. Live long & prosper Mr. Greg.

    ReplyDelete