Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Waiting For Christmas

21 December 2010 -

I've decided that in 2010 I will have experienced the greatest Christmas of my lifetime. Now that's a bold statement! I have everything a 66-year old grandfather could wish or hope for. There is nothing more I want out of life beyond what I have right now. When you have your health, you have everything, as the saying goes, considering the past year in which I've seen the passing of some very good friends. And other good friends have passed into stages of early old-age, which is a warning to me that I have to protect the good health I'm blessed with. But most of all I'm grateful for being able to spend quality time with the "little ones" (who seem) to be blossoming abundantly in our respective families. First and foremost is my own grand daughter who doesn't waste any time by jumping up next to me to exclaim, "Tell me another story, Papi Ed!" I've finally reached that stage - an old man telling wild tales to a child. I'm reminded very quickly of my own grandfather who taught me how to fish. He was also one step removed from his Irish immigrant parents so he punched the ticket for outlandish story-telling. But I certainly don't feel old. And I certainly don't feel as old or act as old as some of my friends. Some are luckier than others. Thank God I still have the energy to go a good five or six or seven hours with a five year-old. The time-frame here isn't important. What matters is how much time you have to devote to a child. A child you love very much. Christmas is right here in front of my eyes. And it's a going to be a very beautiful Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment