Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When it's Picking Time


Stoney Creek Bluegrass Band at the recent Pickin' in the Panhandle Festival in Martinsburg
 
12 September 2012: Home.

I do my best thinking in my garden. I can commune with the squirrels who are eating the last of my sunflowers. They think they're getting away with something. They don't know I've planted them for their benefit. I'm watching five or six huge pumpkins develop - going from the green phase to their bright pumpkin-orange Halloween phase. They remind me of the turning of the season. The loss of summer days and nights. I don't do well when the thermometer goes below 70. Most of my friends know I'm a hot weather, high humidity, sun-freak. It's Harvest-Time. Shine on Harvest moon for me and my Gal. This time also ushers in a whole new phase of bluegrass for me.  It ushers in a whole new phase for the local talent, too. It's the start of the local farms to mount weekends dedicated to selling their harvests. This weekend I'll be back up in Martinsburg covering the Orr's Farm "Farm and Fun Days." On Saturday, Patent Pending and Stoney Creek will be featured. Then on Sunday the Back Creek Valley Boys will be playing. I wish I could just set up a tent and stay there, but I don't think the property owners would appreciate it. In our own area several farms each year feature bluegrass music as part of their 'farm weekends.' All you have to do is check your local merchandising papers to find them - you know, those little local papers that mysteriously get thrown in your driveway. And of course the internet is a valuable search tool to find out what's happening in your local area. We've got so many going on here in northern Virginia and central Maryland that it's hard to make a choice. I research them all to see which band is playing where. I've come up with some amazing surprises. Bands I've wanted to hear but somehow the scheduling never worked out, sometimes show up in the most unlikely venues.

My friends are funny. They tell me things like, "You're always out there following bluegrass. I wish I could. How do you find this stuff?" Here's another good one: "I really like that music. Take me with you the next time!"  Several calls and e-mails later and it's obvious they weren't really that serious about the music. They come up with the flakiest excuses for staying in their easy chairs propped up with potato chips in front of a TV set - or worse yet, the ultimate degradation as far as I'm concerned, a golf-date with a couple fellow club members. Yeah, life's grand at that 19th hole. I'd rather be around live people who are trying to make a living growing things or stringing a banjo. I'll do more interesting networking at a farmers' market than my friend out on the links- and by the way, what are "links" anyhow? Just some more of that esoteric golf-speak. I can always slink into my own smugness by acknowledging that I at least understand the musical concepts of a Lester Flatt G-Run. At Orr's Market this weekend I'll have to conceal that kind of bluegrass snobbery. My buddies in the Back Creek Valley Boys Band won't stand for it.

There's no mystery about how I find this stuff. It's all around us here in the long shadow of the Blue Ridge foothills. Some of the most authentic musicians you'll ever hear are waiting for you to come out and spend some time with them between now and October 31st at any of the numerous local farms or farmers' markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment