Saturday, August 7, 2010

Leading the Good Life in Carson, Virginia - On Peanuts

Lawrence Coleman, 24 May 2010, in Carson, Virginia - The Peanut Capital

Virginia IS peanuts . .and beautiful scenery, pretty horses, and pleasant off-the-beaten track by-ways. We've got it all within a day's drive - from the mountains to the sea. I can't imagine life without Virginia peanuts which leads me to my next story, how I met Larry Coleman, the Peanut King of Carson, Virginia.


24 May 2010: We were on our way home from an extended weekend in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Already South Carolina was experiencing the heat of early summer and we were happy to be getting back to Virginia. You have to start down-shifting as soon as you hit the North Carolina/Virginia border or else get a speeding ticket in Virginia as the speed limit makes an abrupt change from 70 mph to 65 mph. The cops are waiting for you just past the Virginia Welcome Center - Welcome to Virginia. I had to smile when I actually saw a trucker being pulled over - now that's a rarity - like seeing the last Passenger Pigeon being served up in a restaurant. I have a ritual at Exit 37. I discovered some time ago that Carson, Virginia is the halfway mark between the Washington, D.C. metro area and Raleigh, North Carolina, so it's a natural exit to fill my coffee mug and get gas. There are two gas stations. One's a BP and the other's a Sunoco. The people who run the Sunoco seem friendlier, so a long time ago that was my choice to break up the ride down to Raleigh. The first time I ever stopped there I saw a big peanut display and decided to take some peanuts home with me. That's where Coleman Peanuts comes into this and like I say, it became a ritual every time I headed south on infamous I-95. Friends back home kept asking me, "Hey Ed - when are you going to get more of those peanuts?" I would tell them to check out Coleman's website and order their own. Coleman's has a great website.

Not much goes on in Carson, Virginia. One of those off-the-beaten track places lost in time in our great state. But it's heralded for its peanut crop. Enter Lawrence Coleman who took over the family business in 1976 and had the dream of moving it forward. A simple business philosophy: we're going to offer the best peanuts available and the demand will follow. I always wondered who this guy was and what it takes to dedicate your life to growing, harvesting, and roasting up peanuts.

We gassed up, stretched our legs and looked around the station at Carson. We were almost home after a long drive up from Myrtle Beach. I drifted toward the Peanut Display. I loaded up my arms with all my favorite combinations of peanuts - salted and unsalted, peanut candy ("made the old-fashioned way") - there were only a few differences in the presentation of Larry Coleman's peanuts. I carried the load to the counter and noticed a rather dapper-looking guy exchanging chit-chat with the lady at the register. He looked at me and said, "You're buying a lot of peanuts." I gave him the once-over and then gave him a lecture on how good the peanuts are and how he should take some home with him. "I don't have to," he said, "I grew them!" I was talking to the man himself - in the very presence of the Peanut King. I thought it would end there but then we got into this interesting conversation about the peanut industry in Virginia, life in Carson, what a struggle it is to build up a business based on - peanuts.

I thanked him for the interesting conversation and asked to get his picture taken with me and the Raccoon. While we were finishing up, one of the locals walked by and made the comment, "Hey Mr. Coleman . . .You should sell tee shirts with your name and picture!" Not a bad idea, I thought to myself. I'd buy one and wear it with pride. Every little bit counts to bring money into our state during these stale economic times. Good on Ya, Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment