Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting Famous on Facebook

The world certainly is a funny place. I get up every morning and get my usual share of good laughs. I logged on to my Facebook account and went through the normal bluegrass postings, tidbits of bluegrass news, and came across a new band that's trying to get 2,000 'Like' hits on Facebook. The posting went something like this: "Realizing the power of Facebook, we're trying to get 2,000 hits - go to such-and-such a website - see the new video . ." I had never heard of the group, so I got suckered into finding out more about them. The video was awful, the marketing is awful and mainly what was lacking was any kind of musical sampling from what (some fans or maybe marketing people,) were calling the "New, Young, bluegrass Super Group!" Needless to say, I didn't flick any 'Like' buttons. The least I could do is not feed into this idea that you can win instant fame on YouTube or Facebook - maybe infamy, but not Fame. I went two steps further and logged on to the marketer's website and the film-maker's website. I want to know who these people are, so I can flag them in the future. I might also add that the new 'Supergroup' has exactly two future gigs listed on their website calendar.
I'm not out to castigate somebody who's trying to make it in the business. I wish this bunch of young guys the best. But on the way toward their dream of fame and fortune I hope they lay down some good music and in the process get a lot of air-time and sell a lot of CD's. It's called paying your dues. The older folks will tell you it comes through real talent, longevity, and having a loyal listening audience. You also have to love what you're doing - that's really the hard part. There are thousands of good banjo, mandolin, and guitar pickers out there waiting to take your place after the party is over. The truly humble among them know who they are, and know deep down why they like to play bluegrass. They're the ones we long remember after a performance of amazing musicianship, or the recorded music you keep playing years and years later. It's called making your mark. You can't do that on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment