Sunday, August 12, 2012

Almost Heaven . . .


11 August 2012 - at the Berkeley County Youth Fair in Martinsburg, W. Va.
The Back Creek Valley Boys pose with Alicia Pownall


It's the toughest place to play this kind of music. There's a rock and roll show blaring from a covered pavilion to the left. Behind them is a demolition derby going on. There's no actual performance area so people are lollygagging all over the place while a couple hundred feet away are the lights and overwhelming noise coming from the carny rides area. Why am I here, I ask myself. I want to get something to eat but the choices look absolutely disgusting. Two people stroll by with huge paper plates piled high with potato chips covered in melted velveeta cheese. I guess I can wait to get something to eat when I get back to Virginia. Things change once the Back Creek Valley Boys start playing. The strollers stop. Young mothers with babies and toddlers stop so their kids can actually get to witness men making live music with acoustical stringed instruments. You see the mothers and some fathers pointing out the instruments to their kids. "See? He's playing that thing. That's a banjo!" The parents seem proud that they can pass this adult knowledge on to their young ones, as if it were some sort of mystical and privileged information. The kids are mesmerized. I love to watch the parenting when an audience runs right into the real thing. They may not realize it, may not even be thinking about it, but they're eye-witnesses to an Appalachian heritage. Maybe the young ones may never forget the moment, may never forget that once they heard a banjo ring, or saw a guy who did amazing things by magically sliding his fingers all up and down a guitar fret-board, and he did it without the help of computerized animation or any kind of programming.

At my time in life I'm beginning to remember the little instances that had a profound effect on the way I look at things. I was maybe 9 or 10 years old and I went on a school field trip to the museums in Pittsburgh. I remember very clearly that I saw my first collection of "modern art" and there was this painting called "The Swimmers." I stared at it for what seemed the whole afternoon because I knew it was different and stood out from all the other paintings. I still have memories of seeing my first stage-play in elementary school. It was "Jack and the Bean Stalk." I remember not being scared of the Giant because it was just a story being played out by actors.  I also remember laughing at my Dad behind his back when he switched on the radio and played this God-awful stuff we used to call Hillbilly Music. I hadn't a clue that I was listening to cultural history, and here I am at his age listening to the same thing. I feel fortunate enough to now have the time to retrace those years and truly investigate just what it was Dad was listening to on WWVA, The Opry, and a few other stations. I failed to appreciate it then, now I have the time to fully appreciate it for what it is.

I'm watching a truly good band do their magic with the crowd, considering all the distractions that abound to hinder their performance. There's something in this music that pulls you in very slowly. You either become a true believer or opt to see cars crashing or maybe get your chest pounded in by the concussion produced when too many loudspeakers become the obligatory rule for rock music. I'm sitting here on a magnificent summer evening listening to some of the best hillbilly music I can get in these parts. Back behind the performing area I can see a young teeny-bopper by herself. She seems to be walking aimlessly, and she doesn't seem to be attached to any friends, not like any of the other packs of kids I see running around this place. She walks, and then stops, caught between the noise of the car-crashing and the music emanating from The Back Creek Valley Boys. Her head turns toward the rock and roll pavilion and then back toward the string music. Frank Maietta goes wild on a banjo run. Brandon Michael tears it up with his fiddling. I'm watching, This is interesting. The young girl takes two more steps toward the bluegrass and stops. I watch her intently listen until the song ends. When it does, she comes closer to listen to more, and I watch her as she watches. She may have heard this music before, but maybe never really listened to it. She was taking her time to listen to it that evening.

The Back Creek Valley Boys are: Ike Jordan, mandolin - Andrew Jordan, guitar - Frank Maietta, banjo - Brandon Michael, fiddle - Randy Kenney, bass. The band plays a lot in the Martinsburg/panhandle area of West Virginia and will be featured at the "Pickin in the Panhandle" Festival in September. More information available at www.thebackcreekvalleyboys.com



No comments:

Post a Comment