Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Amaze Me!

Mid-August, 2012

You can feel it ever so slightly in the air. Even the hours are getting shorter. We've turned the corner on one of the hottest summers ever. Sometimes the temps were hotter here than in Viet Nam, and I'd laugh when people would tell me, "Hey. Isn't Viet Nam a really hot place? I don't want to go to that place!" Well, everything's relative. The mornings and evenings are definitely cooler. Today I opened the windows and let in some fresh air. I picked another whole bucket of green beans and I'll get another bucket of them before the vines finally give out. Oh yeah, we still have lots of hot days to contend with, but for all intents and purposes, Summer is gone. My pumpkin crop is already taking on an orange tinge. As I examined them last night, I thought about how the stores will soon be stocking up on Halloween goo-gahs. Last year I saw my first Christmas-oriented TV advertisement on October 6th (Lindt Chocolates). I was so shocked I made a diary-entry so I wouldn't forget it. I live a life amazed. People get angry about such blatant materialistic marketing, but hey - it's job security for somebody in this frightening economy. If you want to be frightened, you should be following the presidential election more closely. Turn off The Bachelor and The Bachelorette and read a book. Your brain cells will say thank you.

I was telling a friend the other day that I want to live a life in constant motion. My dad died sitting in a chair doing nothing (heart attack, dead in six seconds). I promised myself I didn't want to go out that way. I chose a career in the travel business and never looked back. I was very fortunate and saw most everything I ever wanted to experience in Asia, and made more than a few trips to Europe. I was never happy unless I was sitting in an airport or train station calculating my next move and constantly looking at my passport to make sure I had the right papers. "Go Light, Go Fast, Move in, Kill 'em all, and Leave." the old Marine Corps mantra became my guideline for moving about anywhere I wanted to. (Except for the Killing-part!) Those crazy Marines - always a sense of humor! I lived a life of constant amazement. I still get a kick out of flying over Southeast Asia and picking out all the rivers I can recognise from 20,000 feet. Mountain ranges so green it doesn't look real. The muddy Mekong. The rice paddies of Viet Nam and the thousands of kilometers of white beaches. Even in the midst of such revelry I'm thinking about the time I wasted which could have been put to good use writing a novel or learning Korean. Why? Just because the mind is a terrible thing to waste. The 20th and 21st Centuries should go down in history books as The Great Age of Distraction; wherein nothing happened except that modern man wasted years and years in doing nothing. And boredom became the life-style, the great battle cry among the sedentary. I have no time for people who tell me they are tired or bored. Not when EVERYONE has the ability to change the way they approach life.

Meadowlark Park Botanical Garden, Fairfax County - The Korean Section

Being not bored requires an attitude of human engagement. Last weekend Connie and I decided at the drop of a hat to visit one of our local (and absolutely excellent) botanical parks just a few miles away from home. At first I didn't want to go, but I'm glad I did. What a marvelous side-adventure on a beautifully mild summer day. This park is special because it has a newly established Korean section with the central artifact being a huge, Korean temple bell and pavilion. When you see it, you think you're entering a park in Seoul. On this day, somebody in Park attire was addressing a group of folks near the bell. I said to Connie, "I'm going to sneak a listen to see if this guy knows anything about Korea."  His name is Keith Thomlinson, I found out later he's the Park Manager. He had some very interesting things to say, and when the group left Keith and I talked for another hour about his job, his responsibilities, his trials and tribulations in managing one of the best public spaces in Fairfax County, and especially, his desire to go to the Republic of Korea soon so he can more fully appreciate the Korean architecture that is a part of his Park. I learned a lot - saw our Park Department in a different way. Enjoying the rest of the day in the park was just additional icing on the cake. We learn nothing if we don't ask questions, don't engage. We may as well waste our time at the mall or just sit in a chair. I don't ever want to die that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment